It must be realistic; few home music teachers come to live their profession. The activity of independent music teacher is often performed on a secondary basis, in addition to another event, musical or not.
Music teachers who generate sufficient income are those who arrive, by the quality of their work and their sense of relationship, to develop enough word of mouth.
To succeed, an independent music teacher must:
- Offer a panel of learning techniques and musical styles sufficient to adapt to different types of clientele,
- Know how to adjust your pedagogy to each person,
- To care for the relationship: each client must feel considered,
- Develop a network of prescribers who can redirect customers (music stores, for example).
On the other hand :
- Do not hesitate to resort to classified ads,
- Organize classes for multiple students whenever possible to increase your productivity,
- Develop a presence on the internet